A STUDY OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE QUALITY OF ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES AND ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE AT TSHWANE UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
The purpose of the study was to identify and quantify factors that affect the ability of administrative employees of Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) to provide highly profes- sional admission related services to students and relevant stakeholders at the 8 residential campuses of TUT in South Africa. The study was conducted by collecting data from a stratified random sample of size 120 employees of TUT. Data was gathered by use of a structured questionnaire and in-depth interviews. The sample size of the study was equal to n=120. A combination of quantitative and qualitative methods of data collection and analysis were used for conducting the study. As part of the quantitative aspect of study, data analysis was per- formed by using methods such as frequency tables, cross-tab analyses, logit analysis, Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) algorithms and Bayesian analysis. The performance of em- ployees was assessed by using a composite index developed by Korschun, Bhattacharya and Swain (2014) for conducting a similar study. The study found that 68 of 120 respondents who were selected for the study (56.67%) were capable of provid- ing highly professional services to students and relevant stake- holders by the standards of Korschun, Bhattacharya and Swain (2014), whereas the remaining 52 respondents (43.33%) were incapable of doing the same. Results obtained from logit anal- ysis, MCMC algorithms and Bayesian analysis showed that the ability of employees to provide highly professional admis- sion related services to students and relevant stakeholders was significantly influenced by 3 factors. These predictor variables were having the best interest of customers at all times, having adequate knowledge about procedures and queries from cus- tomers, and showing courtesy to customers at all times, in a decreasing order of strength.